Monday, May 7, 2012

Sherlock: A Scandal in Belgravia


Can I tell you what I love about Sherlock?

Everything.

The first episode of the second season of the wonderful BBC series, Sherlock aired on Masterpiece Theater on Sunday. The first season was so outstanding, and based on this episode, you know the second season will not disappoint. I have actually seen all of the second season, but I've waited until they aired in America to post my thoughts on them. I hope you enjoy the season as much as I.

This episode introduces Irene Adler, and is based on A Scandal in Bohemia. It begins where the last episode ended, with a confrontation with Moriarty. And what a great confrontation it is. I love Andrew Scott as Moriarty.

Observations:

***Spoilers***

Moriarty's ring tone is "Staying Alive." Brilliant.

Sherlock is such a narcissistic, egotistical jerk sometimes, but he's so likable - why is that? If he were living in America, in L.A., he would be named Sheldon Cooper.

Sherlock has thumbs in his refrigerator.

It's hilarious to see Sherlock Holmes sitting in a sheet in a beautiful room at Buckingham Palace. Sherlock and John find it quite funny too. I love seeing them laughing at the absurdity of the situation.

Benedict Cumberbatch is absolutely stellar as Sherlock Holmes. Along with the great script and directing, his acting is a joy to watch.

Irene Adler's professional name is The Woman.

I love how they filmed the scene when Sherlock is explaining to Irene how the hiker was killed. This is great television.

The only kind of woman that Sherlock can be attracted to is one who can match him brains for brains.

Sherlock says "Before you sent John and I in there." Sherlock may be a genius, but he doesn't know the proper grammatical use of I and me.

I love how both Sherlock and John stand up for Mrs. Hudson against Mycroft.

It's sad to see how Molly likes Sherlock so much and Sherlock has no clue (pun intended). He can be such a jerk. At least he apologizes to her when he finally figures it out.

So, Irene Adler is dead. Or is she?

Benedict Cumberbatch and Mark Gatiss have similar noses. Convenient when they are playing brothers.

I love the wallpaper in Sherlock's flat.

It's wonderful to see Sherlock being tender to Mrs. Hudson after she is attacked by the Americans.

How the heck did Benedict memorize all of that deduction? So many words. So fast. How many takes did it take him?

The plot thickens, or just gets turned on its head. Sherlock gives everything away to Irene Adler. She played him, and he allowed it. But then, Sherlock always gets the last word - or he wouldn't be Sherlock.

The pass code is cool, but how did it show up as letters instead of numbers?

"Witness protection scheme." Not program, but scheme. I love how the English have different words than we do for certain things.

The ending is so perfect. Again, it shows how well this show is written.

Sherlock has too many quotes to list them all, but the following are some of the great ones.

Quotes:

Moriarty: Say that again, and know that if you are lying to me and I find you, I will skin you.

Moriarty: Sorry. Wrong day to die.

Moriarty: If you have what you say you have I'll make you rich. If you don't, I'll make you into shoes.

John: What happened there!
Sherlock: Someone made him charge his mind. Question is, who?

Sherlock: Tell us from the start. Don't be boring.

Lestrade: Listen to everything [Sherlock] has to say, and as far as possible, try not to punch him.

Mycroft: We are in Buckingham Palce at the very heart of the British nation. Sherlock Holmes, put your trousers on.

Sherlock: I'm not the Coomonwealth.
John: And that's as modest as he gets.

Sherlock: Punch me in the face. Didn't you hear me?
John: I always hear "punch me in the face" when you're speaking, but it's usually subtext.

Sherlock (to Irene): Stop boring me and think. It's the new sexy.

Irene: You got that from one look? Definitely the new sexy.

Mycroft: Oh, shut up Mrs. Hudson.
Sherlock & John: Mycroft!

Jeanette (John's girlfriend): You're a great boyfriend. Sherlock Holmes is a very lucky man.

Sherlock: I dislike being outnumbered, it makes for too much stupid in the room.

Mrs. Hudson (re: man falling out of the window): That was right on my bins.

Sherlock: Shame on you, John Watson. Mrs. Hudson leave Baker Street? England would fall.

Irene: I was just playing the game.
Sherlock: I know. And this is just losing.

Mycroft: My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?
John: I don't know.
Mycroft: Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate.

Sherlock: The Woman. THE Woman.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for reading my post, buddy2blogger. I enjoyed your review. I know that Stephen Moffat and Mark Gatiss have taken many liberties with the original books and characters. Being one who has never read any of the books (I have some in my queue to read after in a long list), but having seen other film adaptations (Basil Rathbone, Robert Downey, Jr), I find myself really liking this series. There are some things I don't like. I don't particuarly like how much they sexualized Irene Adler. And Moriarty does seem more like a crazy man than a genius, but I do love Cumberbatch's portrayal of Sherlock. And I love the writing. It's so smart and clever, which is nice when so much out there is not.

    ReplyDelete