Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Smash: Tech


This episode of Smash started out so good that I had hope for the rest of the show. Some of it was good, and some not so good.

I loved the opening number. It was a great arrangement of "Another Op'nin, Another Show," with a great montage of everyone going to Boston for the out-of-town tryout. The scenes at Grand Central Station were great, but as someone pointed out, trains don't go to Boston from Grand Central Station. Ah, television.

The back stage scenes were great. Hopefully there will be more great back stage and on stage scenes now that the season is almost over.

Talking about over, Karen and Dev may be over, Ivy and Derek may be over, but Julia and Frank are back together. How do we know they're together? Frank is helping Julia flip pancakes. That's a sure sign of recociliation. But when did they get back together? I wish we could have seen it, and I wish it would have happened with Frank singing a song. I know, I keep saying it. I'm going to keep saying it until it happens.

I want to hear the duet that Tom wants Karen and Ivy to sing. Next week, I hope.

If this is tech week, why is everyone in costume? Tech is all about the set and lights, just like Derek said. They usually don't run the show during tech. They run the technical cues. Dress rehearsal is when you get to costumes.

I love the HollywoodLand sign, but "land" was removed from the sign in 1949. Marilyn and Joe DiMaggio met around 1952. Picky, picky. Research is a good thing.

Rebecca has a pretty nice (and big) dressing room. Are all stars dressing rooms that nice in the theatre?

Ellis catches Ivy eavesdropping. That's pretty funny. So, why doesn't anyone catch Ellis eavesdropping?

Sam's parents don't support his choice of theatre as a career. Ivy's mother doesn't support her choice of theatre as a career. Karen's parents don't support her choice of theatre as a career. Do anybody's parents support their kid's choice of theatre as a career?

Ellis and Ivy are now best friends. That's random.

Megan Hilty has an incredible voice. Incredible! I'm so glad they gave her the big song this week, and not Katherine McPhee (although I like her voice too).

I'm so glad that Dev chose not to cheat on Karen, but you can tell that the way things are going with Karen, the way she's treating Dev, that he's going to feel like its okay to do something he shouldn't do. I really like him, I just don't like what the writers are doing to his story right now.

I'm also mad that Dev might cheat on Karen with Ivy. I was starting to like Ivy again. I liked that she and Karen were getting to know each other and possibly becoming friends, and now that's probably over.

Next week Michael Swift comes back and someone tries to poison Rebecca. The soap opera continues.

Quotes:

Derek: I'm not an idiot, I just mind my own business.

Julia: I'm not going to sacrifice my family, my life, for the theatre anymore.

Eileen: Seven million dollars isn't just money.

Karen: It's not a yes or a no. I'm in tech.

Sam: This is what theatre is, it's joy one day and it's gone the next.

Danny: Top that, Iowa.

No comments:

Post a Comment