Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Matt Smith Carries the Olympic Torch

I was going to title this post, "Doctor Who Carries the Olympic Torch," but Matt Smith carried it. Yes, Matt Smith plays the Doctor, but it was Matt Smith the man, the actor, not Doctor Who who carried the torch on Saturday in Cardiff, Wales.

He ran with the torch early in the morning around Cardiff Bay. He said it was an honor, exclaiming, “I would do it in my underpants - it’s the Olympic torch. I would probably get a bigger crowd for that."

There was a large crowd, even if he wasn't in his undies, and Matt was surprised by the turn out. “I feel immensely privileged," he said. "The torch and the idea of the torch has been around a long time."

It seems that he wasn't given as much direction in carrying the torch as he does in his portrayal of Doctor Who, as he said, “I don’t even know where I am running to. I try and run in a straight line."

What a great experience for Matt. It certainly doesn't hurt to be the Doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment