Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Once Upon a Time: A Land Without Magic

"I will find you. I will always find you."

Charming is not going to let a bunch of guards keep him from finding Snow White. He escapes from his cell, and gets out of the castle with a little help from - wait for it - the Huntsman!

Oh, yes!

I was ecstatic to see him again!

Just sayin'.

Henry's sacrifice is not in vain. It results in his desired effect, Emma finally believes. He just doesn't get to see the moment, since he's in a poisoned apple-induced coma.

It seems like memories from Emma's short time in Fairy Tale Land came flooding back. However, who has memories of when they are just hours old? If anyone does, I'd like to talk to them; I have a few questions to ask.

Regina confesses everything to Emma pretty quickly.

The fight between Charming and Rumpelstiltskin is great. It's so much better than Snow's fight last week. (Sorry, Snow.) It's great when Rumpelstiltskin grabs Charming's blade in his hand. Now that's power.

David is moving to Boston unless Mary Margaret can give him a reason to stay. She says she can't. Come on Mary Margaret, Boston's a great place. Oh wait. You're right. You can't. You can't leave Storybrooke. Neither can David. You just doesn't know it.

I wonder if Rumpelstiltskin loved his wife (Baelfire's mother).

Now we finally know why only Emma can break the curse..

Charming has to hide the egg that holds true love's potion, and Emma has to find the egg.

It's so cool when Gold opens the case that holds Charming's sword and he shows it to Emma. Did he end up getting every item from Fairy Tale Land? If so, how does he hold it all in that little shop?

What a sad and moving scene when Emma sees August lying on the bed, unable to move. And then, when he turns back into a puppet - *sob* Breaking the curse better turn him back into a real boy (man).

It's funny that Emma is amazed by the moving wall. This is the 21st century. Walls can move at the touch of a hand.

Maleficent's back. Yes!

Cool dragon. Great special effects.

Why is Maleficent still a dragon in Storybrooke? Why didn't she change into a human with the curse?

Loved to see Charming trying to get the egg into the dragon, and Emma trying to get the egg out. Great parallel storytelling.

It's funny to see the little splash when Charming lands in the water.

Mary Margaret reads to Henry from the story book. She doesn't know it's her own story or that Henry is her grandson. It's ironic that Henry goes into cardiac arrest (if that's what it is) just as Mary Margaret tells him that life doesn't always have a happy ending.

Mary Margaret gave Henry the book. I don't remember that. Did I miss that fact from before?

It's great that it's Jefferson who rescues Belle from the "dungeon." But how did he know about Belle? Did that happen before or after he got stuck in Wonderland. I wouldn't think he would know every character's story from Fairytale Land.

Belle: "Who are you, and why do I have an Australian accent?" Okay, I made that last question up, but where did she get that accent. Didn't she come from the same country as everyone else in Fairy Tale Land?

Emma blew up the dragon with her father's sword.

The episode seemed really rushed. As much as I wanted Emma to break the curse, I just wanted the episode to slow down and catch its breath. A two hour finale would have been nice.

Snow says, "Let's take back the Kingdom," but there are really two kingdoms were talking about here: Snow's father's kingdom and King George's kingdom.

Regina finally realizes that she really wasn't in charge of the curse. Gold was.

Wouldn't Regina know that Henry isn't really dead, that it's just the effects of the apple? She should know what would wake him up - a kiss from someone who truly loves him.

Wouldn't Gold/Rumpelstiltskin recognize his true love's voice, because who else has an Australian accent? He doesn't know it's her until he turns around. Okay, he did think she was dead, but here's how I would have directed the scene: Belle speaks and we see a close up of Gold's face when he hears her voice, like he knows the voice but can't believe he's hearing it. Then he turns around and we see his reaction seeing her standing there. I should be a director. *wink* Oh yea, I am. *smile*

Charming breaks Snow out of her sleep when he says goodbye to her and kisses her. Emma breaks the curse with true love's kiss when she says goodbye to Henry and kisses him on the forehead. This show is chock full of parallels.

I loved seeing all of the fairy tale characters remembering who they really are. I especially loved Archie's face when he realizes he's a cricket. *wink* However, the best was seeing David and Mary Margaret reunite as Charming and Snow White. The romantic heart in me just melted. *sigh*

Do we feel sorry for Regina, or don't we?

Why didn't Gold know the curse was broken? Why did it take Belle telling him she remembered? If he knew right away that Emma finally believed when she walked in his shop earlier, surely he would know when the curse had been broken. And why didn't Gold try to help Emma to believe throughout the season since he was counting on her breaking the curse so he could get his power back?

The relationship between Belle and Gold/Rumpelstiltskin is still kind of creepy to me. That whole age difference thing, you know.

We know that power is still the most important thing to Rumpelstiltskin. Even more important than Belle.

The big question is why they didn't go back to Fairy Tale Land.

I wanted to see Snow and Charming's reunion with Emma. I hope there is a good reunion scene in the second season opener. I also want to see Jefferson's reunion with Grace. And I want to see August turn back into... well... August. And I want Graham to not really be dead. Good thing there's going to be a second season.

Quotes:

Huntsman: Don't let my sacrifice be in vain. Find her.

David: Ever since I woke up from that coma, my life hasn't made a lick of sense. Except for you.

Gold: Do my eyes deceive me, or is that the look of a believer?

August: Lucky for us, you're not normal.

Maleficent: Beast is so harsh. I prefer "Maleficent."
Charming: I'm gonna need a smaller egg.

Rumpelstiltskin: Now you're ready for your big moment, dearie.

Charming: Will you marry me?
Snow: What do you think?

Belle: Do I know you?
Gold: No, but you will.

Blue Fairy: If I were you, Your Majesty, I'd find a place to hide.

Snow: You found me.
Charming: Did you ever doubt I would?

Emma: What is that?
Henry: Something bad.

1 comment:

  1. Russell and I just watched this last night (loving Hulu right now, don't know if we'll keep it after we're all caught up on Grimm as well). We just love this show. It's well-written, pretty much clean of sex, language, and violence. And it's smart. It knows exactly what it is and who watches it, and it doesn't try to be something else. I sure hope the second season keeps doing the same.

    ReplyDelete