Sunday, June 2, 2013

Stage Review: Urinetown, the Musical

Urinetown isn't the best title for a musical, but it certainly is a good musical, when it's directed and performed well. The production that is running at Hale Center Theater - Orem until June 15, is definitely directed and performed well.

Whoever directs this very original musical has to understand the humor of this musical in order for the production to shine. And in the hands of the talented director/choreographer David Tinney (whom I was able to work with when I did The Drowsy Chaperone), the clever script, silly story, and bright music certainly shine. The success is in the details, and every detail in this show is well thought out. Tiny gestures have been carefully blocked and you can tell that the cast is fully committed to each step and choice. Every aspect of the show, the choreography, the acting, the music, the set, come together in perfect harmony.

I love seeing friends I have done shows with before, and I'm continually blown away with their talent. Rachel Woodward (pictured above) plays Hope Cladwell. She and I were in a production of The Importance of Being Earnest three years ago. Her portrayal of Hope is spot on, and her comic timing was perfect. Her singing voice is also very clear and beautiful. Taylor Eliason plays Officer Lockstock. He was great in the role. You could tell that he was having great fun, and that is very important in a role like Lockstock, especially with the kind of humor in the show. We were in The Drowsy Chaperone three years ago (with Dave Tinney as director), and I knew then how talented he was.

The rest of the cast was stellar as well. Alex King was a great Bobby, and Amber Dodge was also a  stand-out. The production numbers were excellent. The choreography was great fun and very creative. A few numbers that were stand-outs were "Cop Song," "Snuff that Girl," and "Run, Freedom, Run."

My friend (who is also an actor and director) and I left the theater singing the praises of this production. It is so exciting and exhilarating to see good theatre. There is nothing like it for me. I haven't done a show in a long time because I've really been enjoying my free time (rehearsals and performances take a lot of time), but after seeing this show I am so ready to do another production.

No comments:

Post a Comment