Sunday, June 9, 2013

Doctor Who: Nightmare in Silver

Fans have been waiting for the return of writer Neil Gaiman to Doctor Who since writing his wonderful first Doctor Who episode, "The Doctor's Wife" in season 6. Myself included. "The Doctor's Wife" is one of my top 5 favorite Doctor Who episodes. "Nightmare in Silver" was okay, but I wouldn't put it in my top 5 or top 10. I like Porridge, and it's always good to have an episode with the Cybermen. And again, Matt Smith shines. He is so great as the Doctor, and I have to say again that I will miss him when he regenerates into a new Doctor.

Now, on to "Nightmare in Silver..."

Observations:

So, at the end of the last episode, the kids that Clara watches tell her they want to go into the time machine. And then, at the beginning of this episode, they land on a planet similar to the moon with Clara and the Doctor. I was interested in hearing Clara's conversation with the Doctor about taking the children with them on an "adventure." I wanted to see the kids' reaction when they step inside the TARDIS for the first time. I wanted to see their wonder of it all. Instead we just see them stepping onto another planet, with Angie being annoying and bratty and Artie not very excited that they're actually on a planet that's not Earth. That was a bit disappointing to me.

It's a Cyberman! Oh no.

Those little Cybermites coming out of the Cyberman's eyes is freaky. It's so Doctor Who.

I don't think that Neil Gaiman knows how to write for a teenager. Yes, they can be annoying and bratty, but most of them have some redeeming qualities. Angie is just an unlikable brat. Her vocabulary consists of calling everything "stupid," and telling everyone she "hates" them. So, is it very surprising that I'm not sorry the Cyberman took her? I think not.

Look at Clara taking charge.

The children are going to be the saviors of the Cybermen. Is that the only reason there are children in this episode? If so, it's just a waste. It would have been more interesting if they had been active participants in trying to fight the Cybermen instead of just their victims - making the Doctor have to save them.

When the Doctor is taken over by the Cybermites, Matt's actions reminded a bit of David Tennant in the episode "New Earth," when the Cassandra takes over the Doctor's body. It's funnier in the episode with the 10th Doctor, because his body is being taken over by a woman.

And we have our 50th anniversary tribute to all preceding Doctors here. It's cool seeing all of their faces flash by, just like in "The Eleventh Hour."

We have a tribute to The Seventh Seal. But instead of the Doctor playing chess with Death for his life, he plays chess with himself - for control of his brain, and basically everyone else's lives.

You know that if you see a soldier all by themselves looking for the a Cyberman, that that soldier is not going to make it, right?

That hand was freaky.

Clara didn't seem very sympathetic that Missy was in trouble.

There's a trigger in this Doctor Who episode. That's three different shows in a row to have triggers. The captain should have a chat with Malcolm Merlyn and Regina Mills. I see another interesting conversation about triggers. *wink*

I don't understand why Clara can't see the kids who are standing right behind the Doctor. Very poor direction.

I love how the Cyber-Doctor uses some of the catch-words that the ninth and tenth Doctors used. "Fantastic," from the ninth Doctor, and "Brilliant" and "Allons-y" from the tenth Doctor.

Clara really takes on the "General" role. I'm sure she's never done that before. I would have liked to see her a little more unsure of herself, and maybe a bit vulnerable. She's just so "perfect" even though things don't go her way.

The Time Lords invented chess. That's interesting.

So, we wonder how they're going to get everyone off the planet, and it's as easy as having an imperial ship just "transmatted" them onto the ship. Dang, that was just too easy.

I like Porridge.

If I had written this episode, instead of destroying all of the Cybermen by blowing up the planet, I would have had the Doctor discover a different way to destroy them while he had the "Cyberman brain." I think it was a cop out to just blow them up. I like to see episodes where the Doctor figures out how to beat the villain, and not just by "blowing them up."

Of course Angie wants to be Queen of the Universe and rule a thousand galaxies. Hey, maybe she does. I wonder if she becomes Elizabeth the tenth (from "The Beast Below" and "The Pandorica Opens"). Hmm.

Wow, Angie thanked the Doctor for her new phone, and actually apologized for saying the TARDIS was "stupid." Shocker.

Quotes:

Doctor: We've got a golden ticket. Eh, eh?

Angie: Your stupid box can't even get us to the right place?

Webley: Well, that's Dave for you. You see, unreliable.

Webley: Uniforms give me the heebie-jeebies.

Porridge: Hello. I'm the brains.

Clara: You collect funny insects?
Doctor: Yea, I'm starting to. Right now.

Doctor: Don't wander off. And I'm not just saying, "Don't wander off." I mean it. Otherwise, you'll wander off, and the next thing you know, somebody's going to have to start rescuing somebody.
Angie: From what?
Doctor: Nothing. Nobody needs rescuing from anything. Don't wander off. Sweet dreams.

Angie: I hate the future. It's stupid. There's not even phone service.

Angie: Put me down. I hate you.

Porridge: Right. Let's all spend the night at Natty Longshoe's Comical Castle.

Doctor (to the cybermite): Firstly. If anybody's watching this, those children are under my protection. I'm coming to get them. Secondly, little metal machine. You are beautiful.

Doctor: Hey! That really shouldn't have worked.

Clara: The only reason I'm still alive is because I do what the Doctor says. Can you guarantee me you'd bring me back my children alive and unharmed? [Soldier shakes his head] I trust the Doctor.
Captain: You think he knows what he's doing?
Clara: I'm not sure I'd go that far.

Doctor: Cybermen use human parts. I'm. Not. Human.

Cyber-Doctor: Incorporated. Yes. Ah, unfamiliar pulmonary setup. Nervous system - hyperconductive. Remarkable brain-processing speed. Amazing.
Doctor: Get out of my head. Stop rummaging in my mind.

Cyber-Doctor: Oh, this is just dreamy.

Cyber-Doctor: One of us needs to control this head. We're too well-balanced.

Cyber-Doctor: You understand, when I do win, the Cyberiad gets your brains and memories. All of this.
Doctor: Yes, when I win, you get out of my head, you let the children go, and nobody dies. You got that? Nobody dies!

Missy: Don't move! I'm in the army!

Cyber-Doctor: I know who you are. You're the impossible girl. Ooh, he's very interested in you.
Clara: Why am I impossible?
Cyber-Doctor: Hasn't he told you? The sly devil.

Clara: Can Cybermen fly?
Soldier: No, ma'am.
Clara: First good news of the day.

Clara: Porridge.
Porridge: Yes.
Clara: Keep yourself safe.

Cyber-Doctor: That's cheating!
Doctor: Just taking advantage of the local resources.

Doctor: Ah, hello. Could somebody untie me, please.
Clara: Do you think I'm pretty?
Doctor: No. You're too short and bossy, and your nose is all funny.
Clara: Good enough.

Angie: Look, am I the only one paying attention to anything around here?

Angie: When someone asks you to be Queen of the Universe, you say "yes." You watch, one day I'll be Queen of the Universe.

Artie: Thanks, Clara. Thanks, Clara's boyfriend.

Clara: Goodnight. See you next Wednesday.
Doctor: Well, a Wednesday, definitely. Next Wednesday. Last Wednesday. One of the Wednesdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment