Sunday, June 16, 2013

Once Upon a Time: And Straight on 'Til Morning

A lot happened in the second season finale. Some questions were answered, but for me it brought up many more.

Observations:

Okay, Hook couldn't suspect that Bae is Rumple's son just because Bae called his father a coward. I'm sure there are many other boys who would call their father a coward. There isn't just one coward with a son in all of the magical lands.

Why is Granny carrying around a cross-bow? Is she acting as Henry's bodyguard for some reason? Is there a reason she thinks she needs to?

Henry seems a bit too big to be swinging on that swing.

Robert Carlyle is really a great actor.

Mr. Gold is willing to let everyone die (including Belle) because he thinks he is responsible for Bae's death, and he thinks the trigger is his punishment. Isn't he selfless? No, I would say that's a bit selfish.

The people in the "home office" who are telling Greg and Tamara what to do have to be familiar with either Storybrooke or with the Enchanted Forest, or they would never know the specifics on how to activate a trigger that Regina created in the Enchanted Forest. How else would they know the specific place in the mine to go to find a specific pick ax that belongs to a dwarf. How could anyone from the "outside" know that?

Greg has pretty good aim with that ax. Has he had practice?

Hook is the king of flip-flopping. And Regina is the queen of flip-flopping.

It's nice to see that Henry really does love Regina. At the beginning of the series, he just thought that she was the Evil Queen. Now he truly sees her as a mother.

I wonder why the pirates are afraid of the "Lost Ones." What kind of pirates are afraid like that? What do the lost ones do to people that has them so freaked out?

Why do all the lost ones, other than Felix, have their faces covered? The other times we've met characters who had their faces covered, they were either a fairy tale character we knew, but hadn't met yet (Mulan), or a character we had already met, and we weren't supposed to know yet that they were another character (Cora/Queen of Hearts). So, are the other lost ones characters we've already met before, or fictional characters we are familiar with that we haven't met yet? Or, are they all girls? *wink*

Felix says that Hook is new to Neverland. So, he has just barely gone through the portal from the Enchanted Forest? Hmm. Time is really hard to figure out in these timelines.

When Felix talks about "him," the person they should all fear, because he rips people's shadow from their body, is he talking about Peter Pan? ABC, what are you doing to James Barrie's story? I don't mind changes being made to fairy tales. People have been rewriting fairy tales for ages. These are stories that have been told and retold. But Peter Pan? I really don't want ABC to make Peter Pan an evil person. It's really frustrating.

Isn't it convenient that Mother Superior (The Blue Fairy) has figured out how to bring Sneezy's and Belle's memories back? The plot points of characters losing their memory if they stepped outside the town boundaries was such a major thing. Rumple had to figure out a way to find Bae without losing his memory. Belle lost her memory when Hook shot her and she fell outside the boundary. But now that those story lines are not needed anymore, they make it so easy to just figure out how to bring their memories back. I have two words. Cop. Out.

I think I've realized why Belle bugs me so much. I can see the actress acting. You know how some people's acting is so natural and flawless, that they just "are." Well, I can tell that Emilie de Raven has memorized lines and is reciting them with the emotions she's directed to have. And it bugs me. End of rant (well, no, I can't guarantee this is the end of my ranting about Belle. Sorry.).

I like seeing Hook grow fond of Baelfire. It's nice to see that side of him.

I wonder if Hook is telling the truth to Bae about his father abandoning him, or if he's just trying to manipulate Bae into telling him about Rumple so he can find out if Rumple has a weakness.

Aw, Gold fixed Chip. I wonder why he didn't do that before, and then sit at his desk and pine over the little cup after Belle lost her mind again.

If Belle remembers her days as Lacey after Gold gives her the potion to bring her memory back, then wouldn't she remember the horrible things that Rumple did - caning Guy of Guisbourne, beating up Doctor Whale? I'd think she'd be horrified that he did those things just because her trampy little Lacey-self enjoyed watching him do it.

There certainly aren't many people left in Storybrooke by the looks of the small group in Granny's place. Why didn't they hire a bunch of extras?

I miss Ruby.

It's funny how Mary Margaret gives this beautiful speech to convince Emma that they should try to save Regina. Then, after Emma is convinced, Emma turns around and give another little speech to Hook to convince him to give her the bean - so they can save Regina.

So, if mermaids are dangerous, I can't wait to meet evil Ariel. *wink*

When would Milah and Hook consider Bae old enough for them to come and get him? 20?

Hook says that it's not possible to leave Neverland, so I wonder how he got out of Neverland and back to the Enchanted Forest.

Mr. Flip-flop is leaving to save himself. Not much of a surprise.

I like that Hook wants to take care of Bae, that he has grown fond of him. Now, I'm interested in seeing the reunion between Hook and adult Bae (yes, I already know he's still alive).

Hook tells Bae that he could change for him and be a better man. Hmm, have we heard that before?

Finally. We see some extras in Storybrooke. Maybe the town has a population of 25. *wink*

I wonder how Emma got her magic. Didn't Cora and Regina have to be taught by Rumpel how to do magic? How is Emma able to just do it?

How did Emma know that Tamara and Greg took Henry?

When did Tamara and Greg find out that the "home office" wants Henry?

This is just a little too much like Lost. Someone wants the children.

Henry looked like he was excited to go through the portal. Or maybe it was just the actor excited to do the stunt.

Hook's ship was pretty far out in the distance when Belle noticed it. It's a good thing we didn't have to wait for the to sail into port. It would have been boring to just watch Emma and company wait on the dock as the ship slowly came in. I wonder what they would have talked to each other about while waiting. *wink*

Why is Belle's hair still pulled to the side like that? She isn't Lacey anymore.

I wonder if Belle isn't going to be a regular next season, and that's why they have her stay in Storybrooke. Otherwise, I would think that Gold would want her to be with him now that she has her memories back.

Gold has had a change of heart about harming Henry. It must have been Belle's wonderful influence on him. *wink*

I know that I should really feel something at Gold and Belle's farewell, but I really couldn't care less. I guess I'm glad I don't have to see them together much next season.

Neal's alive! Yes! And... Philip's alive! Yes, yes!

There are three "former" villains on board the Jolly Roger. Are all of them really reformed? Will they organize a Villains Anonymous group therapy? Or will there be a battle of who should be in charge? Hmm.

How does Hook know that the bean will take them to Neverland? Does the portal travel through time too, not just to other realms? Is the present Hook going to meet up with his past self in Neverland? If they are traveling through time, has the Jolly Roger become a TARDIS? *wink*

Why would Rumplestiltskin fear Peter Pan? How is Peter Pan worse than the Dark One? Regina and Emma who have magic too. Wouldn't the three of them be able to defeat him?

Why hasn't Felix seen the picture of the boy "he" wants? It would help him so he doesn't keep taking the wrong boy.

Is Felix Peter Pan? Is he talking about himself when he says that Peter Pan never fails?

How could they have a picture of Henry in Neverland? Henry hasn't even been born yet at that time. This is too confusing.

What is so special about Henry that this scary person (whether it's Peter Pan or not) wants him so badly?

And, the biggest question of all... Will any of these questions be answered next season? We'll have to wait until the fall to find out.

Quotes:

Hook: Welcome aboard, Baelfire. It's a pirate's life for you.
(Uh, Hook, I think you think you're in another pirate story.)

Mr. Gold: Magic always has a price. And this is it. But I'm prepared to pay.

Greg: Tell us, Hook. We're willing to die for our cause. Are you willing to die for yours?

[David punches Hook]
David: That's for the last time we met.

Hook: I think threatening to kill me is a bit redundant when we're all about to die anyway.

Hook: Staring death in the face has made me realize if there's one thing I want more than my revenge, it's my life. So, should we stop this thing right now and then resume bickering?

David: I'll got with him. If he tries anything, I'll shoot him in the face.
Hook: Quite hostile, aren't we?
David: Just being clear.

Hook: The things we do for our children.

Hook: Be my guest.
[Again, Hook thinks he's in a different story. *wink*]

Hook: Told you. No one here but me crew.

Bae: I thought pirates only cared about themselves.
Hook: Well, you've a lot to learn, boy.

Gold: A sure sign of impending doom. Looters.
Leroy: It ain't looting if the stuff you find's already yours.

Gold: So, you're going to wake your friend up to tell him he's about to die?
Clark: I don't want that.
Leroy: Shut it, Clark. He wants to know who he is  and be with his family, no matter how much time he has left.
Clark: Not if I'm gonna die.

Clark: If I don't have a family, will I still die? You know, I really don't think it's necessary, you know, to go through this.

[Town rumbles]
Hook: Time's running out.
David: Oh, is that what that means?

Hook (to Bae): Your sea legs aren't bad for a landlubber.

David: Why is it suddenly so important to you that you survive? I know what I'm fighting for - my family. What are you fighting for?
Hook: Myself. That's plenty of motivation. I can assure you.

Hook: Hey! Live to fight another day, mate.
[This line reminds me of a line from The Great Race. "He who fights and runs away, may live to fight another day."]
David: I'm not your mate.

Regina: I created this device. It's only fitting that it takes my life.
Emma: What am I supposed to tell Henry?
Regina: Tell him that in the end it wasn't too late for me to do the right thing.

Regina: Everyone looks at me as the Evil Queen, including my son. I may die as Regina.

Henry: We don't leave family behind.

Archie: Snow White and the Prince have always led us before, and we've always won. So, who's willing to let them lead us again?

Emma: I just don't want him to be alone. I don't want him to grow up the way I did.
[Way to pile the guilt on to your parents, Emma]

Mary Margaret: Please, Emma, honey. Let us take the hard path. Because if we don't, we will be building a future on Regina's blood.

Emma: You can join us, and be a a part of something, or you can do what you do best, and be alone.
Hook: Quite passionate, Swan.

Smee: The boy has given you a pathway to revenge, but you can't walk the path if you're dead.

Henry: You were willing to die to save us. That makes you a hero. Now, we're all going to be heroes.

Bae: You hated me father so much, you never realized you were just like him.

Emma: You may not be strong enough. But maybe we are.

Emma: I thought you didn't care about anybody but yourself.
Hook: Maybe I just needed reminding that I could.

Hook: I thought we were saving the town.
David: We already did.

Gold: The boy is my undoing, but he's also my grandson. I must save him.

Gold: So, are you done trying to kill me?
Hook: I believe so.
Gold: Excellent. Then you can live.

No comments:

Post a Comment