Thursday, June 13, 2013

Favorite Doctor Who Episodes: The Parting of the Ways

Of course I couldn't wait until next week to watch the season 1 finale. So, here is "The Parting of the Ways."

This story is epic. The Doctor is fighting his biggest foe, and he isn't sure he can win. The Doctor makes a decision to save Rose, and she is not happy with the way he goes about it. The scene when the Doctor leaves Rose in the TARDIS parallels a future episode (the season finale of season 2) when a projection of the Doctor talks to Rose to say good-bye. I love this scene. Especially how at the end of his speech, he turns and looks right at Rose. As I was watching this scene again, it just made me miss the Christopher Eccleston/Billie Piper pairing all over again. I think they were just so good together as the Doctor and his companion.

Okay, I'm starting to get sentimental already, and the episode isn't even over yet.

This was the first time I ever saw the Doctor regenerate. I remember watching the episode when it first aired in the United States. I didn't really understand what was happening, because I had never watched any of the earlier episodes. I hadn't seen any of his past regenerations. At first I was not happy. I didn't know what to think of David Tennant. But, then he grew on me, and I came to love David's Doctor as much as I loved Christopher's Doctor. Much the same way that I've come to love Matt Smith's Doctor and will be sad to see him go. I still wish that Christopher had stayed on for a least one more season. I would love to have seen his Doctor in some of the season 2 episodes. But... we still have season 1 to enjoy.

Quotes:

Jack: The extrapolator's working. We've got a fully functional force-field. Try saying that when  you're drunk.
Doctor: And for my next trick...

Doctor: Told you I'd come and get you.
Rose: Never doubted it.
Doctor: I did. You all right?
Rose: Yea. And you?
Doctor: Not bad. Been better.

Rose: What are we gonna do?
Doctor: No good stood round here chinwagging. Human race, you'd gossip all day. The Daleks have got the answers. Let's go meet the neighbors.

Doctor: It's all right. Come on out. That force-field can hold back anything.
Jack: Almost anything.
Doctor: Yes. But I wasn't going to tell them that. Thanks.
Jack: Sorry.

Doctor: Do you know what they call me in in the ancient legends of the Dalek homeworld? The Oncoming Storm. You might have removed all your emotions, but I reckon right down deep in your DNA, there's one little spark left. And that's fear. Doesn't it just burn when you face me?

Dalek: Do not interrupt!
Doctor: I think you're forgetting something. I'm the Doctor, and if there's one thing I can do, it's talk.

Doctor: If anyone's going to shut up, it's you! Okey-doke, so where were we?

Doctor: Since when did the Daleks have a concept of blasphemy?

Jack: Rose, you are worth fighting for.

Jack: I wish I never met you, Doctor. I was much better off as a coward.

Rose: I was just thinking. I mean, obviously you can't, but you've got a time machine. Why can't you just go back to last week and warn them?
Doctor: Soon as the TARDIS lands, in that second, I become part of events. Stuck in the timeline.
Rose: Yea, I thought it'd be something like that.
Doctor: There's another thing the TARDIS could do. It could take us away. We could leave. Let history take its course. We go to Marbella in 1989.
Rose: Yea, but you'd never do that.
Doctor: No, but you could ask. Never even occurred to you, did it?
Rose: Well, I'm just too good.

Doctor: If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant, I might just save the world. Or rip it apart.
Rose: I'd go for the first one.
Doctor: Me too!

Doctor (his projection): This is Emergency Programme One. Rose, now listen, this is important. If this message is activated, then it can only mean one thing. We must be in danger. And I mean fatal. I'm dead or about to die any second with no chance of escape. 
Rose: No!
Doctor: And that's okay. Hope it's a good death. But I promised to look after you and that's what I'm doing. The TARDIS is taking you home.
Rose: I won't let you!
Doctor: I bet you're fussing and moanin' now. Typical. But hold on and just listen a bit more. The TARDIS can never return for me. Emergency Programme One means I'm facing an enemy that should never get their hands on this machine. So, this is what you should do. Let the TARDIS die. Just let this old box gather dust. No one can open it, no one will even notice it. Let it become a strange little thing standing on a street corner. And over the years the world will move one and the box will be buried. And if you want to remember me, then you can do one thing. That's all. One thing. Have a good life. Do that for me, Rose. Have a fantastic life.

Mickey: I knew it! I was all the way down Clifton Parade and I heard the engines. I thought, "There's only one thing that makes a noise like that."

Doctor: Do you see, Jack? That's the decision I've got to make for every living thing. Die as a human, or live as a Dalek. What would you do?
Jack: You sent her home. She's safe.
Emperor of the Daleks: But he will exterminate you!
Jack: Never doubted him. Never will.

Mickey: Have you tried that new pizza place in Minto Road?
Jackie: What's it selling?
Mickey: Pizza.

Rose: He's fighting for us. For the whole planet. And I'm just sitting here eating chips!

Rose: The Doctor showed me a better way of living your life... You don't just give up. You don't just let things happen. You make a stand. You say no. You have the guts to do what's right when everyone else just runs away! And I just can't...

Jack: This is it, ladies and gentlemen. We are at war.

Doctor: Jack, how we doin'?
Jack: 495 should be good. I like 495.

Emperor of the Daleks: What are you Doctor, coward or killer?
[pause]
Doctor: Coward. Any day.

Doctor: It's a bit dodgy, this process. You never know what you're gonna end up with.

Doctor: Time Lords have this little trick. It's sort of a way of cheating death. Except... it means I'm gonna change... and I'm not gonna see you again. Not like this. Not with this daft old face. And before I go...
Rose: Don't say that!
Doctor: Rose... before I go I just wanna tell you. You were fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. And do you know what? So was I.

Tenth Doctor: Hello. Okay. New teeth. That's weird. So, where was I? Oh, that's right. Barcelona.

Now, on to season 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment