Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Doctor Who: The Angels Take Manhattan

And so it comes. The last episode with the the couple we fondly refer to as "the Ponds." Amy and Rory have traveled with the Doctor for quite a while, and it took me a while to warm up to Amy (or Karen Gillan, I'm not sure which). I have loved Rory from the start, but now I can honestly say that I like Amy.

Other than being annoyed by many of Stephen Moffat's "wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey" plots (and this story has it in spades), because there are so many holes in them and can get awfully confusing, I liked the episode very much. It's the characters, and their relationships, that made this episode good for me. I'm so glad that Amy showed how much she loves Rory. When we first met her I really wanted to slap her for the way she often treated Rory. I mean, we call them the "Ponds" instead of the "Williams" for heaven's sake. We know who is the dominate personality in the relationship. However, in this episode you have no doubt that she loves him.

There will be no "spoilers" in this post, so if you haven't seen the episode, don't worry about me giving away the end. No spoilers means I had to exclude a lot of observations, questions I have about plot, and great quotes. So, all I can say is - watch the episode. It's good.

Observations:

I loved the opening sequence with the old typewriter and the voice-over. It's an old and frequently-used conceit, but it works very well for this episode.

If all of the statues have the ability to send people back to the past, then people would be sent into the past constantly. There wouldn't be anyone left.

We never see a weeping angel move. We only see them change and get closer. That's what makes them so freaky.

I didn't like what they did to the Statue of Liberty very much. It was just a bit over the top for me.

I love that they used Sting's song, "Englishman in New York," in the scene with the Doctor, Amy and Rory in Central Park. The lyrics fit so well: "I'm an alien. I'm a legal alien. I'm an Englishman in New York."

It bugs me that Stephen Moffat seems to change his rules about the weeping angels to fit the story he wants to tell. You can make your rules anything you want in science fiction, but then you have to stick to your rules.

The Doctor tells Amy that once he knows something is going to happen, it's fixed and he can't change it. Is that rule followed in all Doctor Who stories?

The cherubs are really creepy. How come they can make noise, but the weeping angels don't?

They could have had a really cool shot of the Statue of Liberty, but instead it's so clear that it's a fake shot.

I absolutely love the little girl who plays Amelia Pond as, well, as a little girl.

Quotes:

Sam: New York. The city of a million stories. Half of them are true, and half haven't happened yet.

Sam: Grayle was the scariest guy I knew. If something scared him, I kind of wanted to shake its hand.

Amy: Rory, do I have noticeable lines on my eyes now?
Doctor: Yes.
Rory: No.
Amy: You didn't look.
Rory: I noticed them earlier. Didn't notice them. I specifically remember not noticing them.

Doctor: I always rip out the last page of a book. Then it doesn't have to end. I hate endings.

Amy: He went for coffee and turned up in a book. How does that work?
Doctor: I don't know, we're in New York.

Amy: What was that?
Doctor: 1938. We just bounced off it.

River: Just wait 'til my husband gets home.

River: If it was easy, I'd get you to do it.

River: When one is in love with an ageless god who insists on the face of a 12 year old, one does one's best to hide the damage.

Amy: Husband, run!

River: Husband, shut up!

Rory: Tell me I'm wrong. Go on, please, cause I'm really scared. (no response from Amy) Great. The one time you can't manage it.

River (re: the Tardis): It could do with a repaint.
Doctor: I've been busy.

River: One psychopath per Tardis, don't you think?

Amy: Don't be alone, Doctor.

I am looking forward to the Doctor getting a new companion. I like that the series regenerates itself every so often and we are treated to something fresh and new. I just hope that the fresh and new is good, entertaining, and worthy of the Doctor Who name.

If you want a very short (and I mean "short"), preview of the Christmas special, you can find it here on the Blogtor Who website. Blogtor Who is a great website for all things "Doctor Who."

No comments:

Post a Comment