Sunday, October 14, 2012

New Series: Arrow

I am not familiar with the Green Arrow, the comic superhero, other than getting a few glimpses of him on Smallville, which I hadn’t watched faithfully since about season 3. I didn’t know his background or how Oliver Queen became the Arrow, so this first episode was my real introduction to the character.

I really liked the episode. I like the look of the show, and I like the use of the flashbacks to show what happened to him. I like Stephen Amell as Oliver Queen/Arrow. He is very easy on the eyes. He is also very believable as the playboy and as the man who has been changed by five years on a remote island. I thought the supporting characters were good too. I like Tommy, Laurel and Oliver's sister, Thea.

The premiere wasn’t too complicated. There was just enough exposition, a good villain, great action scenes. I’m excited to see where the story will take the characters.

I loved the scene where Oliver grabs his bow and throws out a bunch of tennis balls, and one by one pins each tennis ball to the wall with arrows. So, now we know how quick and accurate a shot he is. *wink*

It will be interesting to see what happened to him on the island through flashbacks, and find out what made him the “weapon” he has become.

All in all, I really liked the series premiere, and I'm excited to see where the first season goes.

Observations:

Oliver and his story have aspects of a few well-known fictional characters. Being away from civilization for a long time and his desire for revenge is very much like Edmund Dantes from “The Count of Monte Cristo.” The situation of having an alter-ego who “saves” people, and shows a very different persona in the real world is like Percy Blakeney in “The Scarlet Pimpernel,” and “robbing from the rich and giving to the poor” (at least in the first episode), as well as his green hood, is of course like Robin Hood. I’m sure that those of you who know the comic book character well are saying, well, duh! I’m new to the character, okay? *wink*

Oliver's mother says that his room is exactly as he left it five years ago. I hope that it was dusted. *wink* Oliver says that after five years everything that was once familiar is now unrecognizable. How can you know that something was once familiar if you don't recognize it anymore (other than your own face)? *wink*

How did Tommy know that Oliver had spoken Russian? Does he know Russian?

Where did the large trunk come from? Did Oliver get it from the yacht before it sank?

The island may have made him strong, but how did it make him technologically savvy?

I loved the scene after Oliver attacks Hunt and his men in the car park, and Hunt says, "If I see you again, you're dead," and then Hunt turns when Oliver shoots an arrow into his car window, then when Hunt looks back, Oliver is gone.

When you have a character who has been away from civilization for five years, you have a chance to comment on what has happened in the world in that time, and it’s interesting to see what the writers decided to comment on. At his first dinner home, his best friend, Tommy, is trying to catch him up on the last five years, he tells him the last five Super Bowl winners, that we now have a black president, and reveals the ending of Lost. And, at Oliver’s coming home party, Tommy mentions that a girl looks like “that girl” from Twilight. Oliver asks what Twilight is, and Tommy responds, “You’re better off not knowing.”

How does the hood keep people from recognizing him, especially when he’s right up in their face? Hmm.

So, how soon before Tommy figures out Oliver's secret? Or how long before he tells Oliver he knows his secret?

It's funny how many superhero shows have a scene at the end of the show where the superhero secretly watches the woman he loves from a balcony or from the top of a building. And they are always in their superhero "costume."

Quotes:

Thea: I missed you so much.
Oliver: You were with me the whole time.

Oliver: I have something for you.
Thea: You didn't come back from deserted island with a souvenir.

Tommy: I want one of those t-shirts that says, "My friend was a castaway and all I got was this crappy t-shirt."

Tommy: You notice how hot your sister's got? Because I haven't.

Tommy: Everyone is happy you're alive. You want to see the one person who isn't?

Laurel: Adam Hunt is not smarter than we are.
Laurel's coworker: No, he's just richer and willing to commit multiple felonies.

Detective Lance (to Moira Queen): Probably figured you'd pay a King's ransom to get your son back. Or a Queen's ransom as it were.

Raiza (to Oliver): You are different. Not like you to read a book.

Oliver (voice over): The abduction was unexpected. It forced me to move up my plans. But what I told the police was true. The man with the green hood was there in that warehouse. And he's just beginning.

Oliver (voice over): Adam Hunt. His crimes go deeper than fraud or theft, but he's been able to bully, bribe or kill anyone who's gotten into his way. He hasn't met me yet.

Detective Lance (to Adam Hunt): thanks for your statement. We'll put out an APB on... Robin Hood.

Adam Hunt: I'm not some grocer who got taken for his register. I go to the front of the line.

Oliver: Which one is she?
Tommy: The one who looks like the chick from Twilight.
Oliver: What's Twilight?
Tommy: You're so better off not knowing.

Laurel: You know what, Oliver? You're wrong. The island did change you. At least now you're honest.

Oliver: Who's Adam Hunt?
Detective Lance: He's a millionaire bottom feeder and I'm kind of surprised you're not friends.
Oliver: I've been out of town for a while.

Oliver: Two million dollars for anyone who can find a nut bar in a green hood.

Tommy: What happened to you on that island?
Oliver: A lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment