Thursday, October 4, 2012

TV Review: Elementary


My biggest question about Elementary is “why?”

If you’re going to create a TV show based on Sherlock Holmes, I think the plots should be based on the stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, at least in the beginning while the series is getting on its feet, even if they are only loosely based on Doyle's stories. This first episode was just another detective story. The premiere episode of Elementary was boring. There was nothing to distinguish it from any other mediocre detective/cop series. There wasn't anything surprising about the conclusion. Maybe I'm wrong about it not being based on one of Doyle's stories. If anyone knows if it was based on a Doyle story, please post a comment.

I don’t really want to compare the episode to the BBC’s Sherlock, but it’s so hard not to do because Sherlock is so good. It does such a great job bringing Sherlock into the 21st century. And Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman are so good as Holmes and Watson.

The only thing the show has going for it is Jonny Lee Miller as Holmes. He was great, but still there was really nothing that distinguished him as Sherlock Holmes other than his talent to deduce, his quirkiness, and his drug addiction.

I will probably give it one more chance, but if the episode isn't better than last week's, then I think I may be done with it. So disappointing.

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the premiere (and no, it wasn't based on one of Doyle's stories). I actually think it was pretty smart for the show to not rehash the original tales. I'm always on the lookout for a quirky procedural show, and this has potential w/ the concept of Holmes/Watson-type characters, so I'll give it a while to see how it develops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that I like tonight's episode. This was one of the new series that I was really looking forward to.

    I like quirky procedural shows also. I love Grimm and Castle. I enjoy the unique plot lines. I would like to see some of that from Elementary, and not just a case of a husband killing his wife.

    We'll see if I can be won over tonight. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw this today and thought of you:
    http://cheezburger.com/6636103680?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SetPhasersToLol+%28Set+Phasers+To+LoL%29

    I didn't mind the pilot, but I'm not a huge fan of procedurals in general, so I don't know how much long I'll be watching. I like the two stars, and agree it was nice to keep Holmes British. *Shrug* I'll give it a few more chances. As long as it stays character-driven it might retain my interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan, that is hilarious. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete