Friday, October 19, 2012

Lucky Stiff: The Movie Musical

One of my favorite musicals of all time is Lucky Stiff. I have seen about five productions of the musical, and about eight years ago I was in a production of the show. I love everything about it. The story, the music, the characters, the humor. It’s just a great show.

I recently discovered that the musical is being adapted for the big screen. The film stars British newcomer Dominic Marsh as Harry Witherspoon, a young man who stands to inherit millions from his uncle if he follows certain instructions to a “t,” which includes wheeling his uncle’s corpse around Monte Carlo. Nikki M. James plays Annabel Glick, the dog lover who wants to see the fortune go to the dog shelter where she works. Jason Alexander plays Vinnie De Ruzzio, whose sister drags him to Monte Carlo to help her get her hands on the money.

I am so excited to see how well they adapt it to film. I hope they keep all of the songs, and I wouldn't mind if they added a few more. I love the music of Flaherty and Aherns. I also hope that they filmed some of it in Monte Carlo. It’s such a beautifully opulent city.

There are other Broadway musicals that are on their way to the big screen.

The following projects have directors attached to them (however, that doesn't mean all of them will be made):

  • Wicked
  • Into the Woods (Rob Marshall directing, Meryl Streep rumored to play the Witch)
  • Jersey Boys (Jon Favreau directing)
  • Spring Awakening
  • In the Heights
  • American Idiot
  • Damn Yankees

The following are rumored to be in the works:
  • Gypsy (Barbra Streisand rumored to play Mama Rose)
  • Annie (Willow Smith rumored to play Annie)
  • Follies
  • My Fair Lady (Carey Mulligan rumored to play Eliza)
  • Carousel

I am such a sucker for a good musical, and the good thing about a well-made movie musical is I can watch it over and over, unlike musicals in the theatre.

Are you excited about seeing any of these musicals on the big screen?

1 comment:

  1. I hadn't heard about Lucky Stiff. That's great! It is such a fun show. I would love to have a good movie version of Into the Woods, though I do have the original Broadway cast version on DVD (so I can watch it over and over and over...) It would be nice to have an updated Damn Yankees, too. Thanks for the great intel!

    ReplyDelete