Wednesday, February 20, 2013

If Doctor Who Were a Woman

I love this article. It explores an alternate universe where all 11 Doctor Whos were played women.

From all of the British actresses to choose from, I wonder how the author settled on those eleven. I loved many of the author's choices, but the two I really would love to see play the Doctor are Penelope Keith and Suranne Jones.

I loved Penelope Keith as Margo Leadbetter in the BBC's wonderful 70's comedy, The Good Life (a.k.a. Good Neighbors). A Doctor with Margo's personality would be great!

Suranne Jones was wonderful as "The Doctor's Wife." She's already part of the Doctor Who family, so I'm sure she'd feel right at home.

There's still a possibility that one day the Doctor will be played by a woman, so there's a chance Suranne could play the part. I'm not sure that at 72 years old Penelope would want to play the part. But it wouldn't be the first time that the Doctor has been played by someone over 60.

My favorite parts of the article are:

During Honor Blackman's turn as the 3rd Doctor, Vanessa Redgrave appeared as the Mistress.

Penelope Keith played the Doctor at the same time as she played Margo in The Good Life, and "jokes were dropped into [the comedy series], hinting strongly that Margo and the Doctor were one and the same."

"The 8th Doctor was met with massive amounts of hype, with the unprecedented casting of Julia Roberts as the Mistress, overshadowing the entire production."

No comments:

Post a Comment