Monday, February 4, 2013

King of the Nerds: Episode 2, Nerdy Quotes

The second episode of King of the Nerds, "Imaginary Realms," gave the nerd gang the opportunity to do what every nerd loves to do (or so it seems from this episode) - role play, or as they called it "cosplay." Both teams had to create a fictional world, and each competitor had to create a character in that world, complete with costume and a back story. The losing team had to, once again, send two of its members to the "nerd-off." One member was chosen by its own team and the other was chosen by the winning team.

This week's nerd-off consisted of rolling an oversized die down a hill, trying to hit various cardboard knights, mannequins in armor, and garden gnomes that were worth a certain number of points. If you didn't see the episode, see if you can tell which team won the cos-play nerd war based on the costumes (answer at the end of the post).

Orange Team - Servants of the Forbidden Orb

 Blue Team - Blextrophy
Quotes:

Joshua: Pro tip for life: Don't ever pigeon-hole a nerd.

Genevieve: I think it was perfect that Curtis was wearing the Geisha outfit because the beard just pulled it all together.

Joshua: I always wanted a war room.

Genevieve: I always wanted my own bat cave.

Jon: I didn't really have any ideas to begin with, so it was better than my idea, which wasn't anything.

Alana: He's a robot. Robots don't have feelings. They have logic.

Virgil: Alana's a little aggressive. Her reservoir of emotional energy is shallow.

Alana: You've been bothering the orange team. How is that helping us at all? Really. How is that helping us?
Virgil: It's best I work on this rather than respond.
Alana: Good, cause that was a rhetorical question.

Genevieve: Please don't let me embarrass myself in front of George Takei.

Brandon: Whenever you string anything together that has sprinklings of Latin roots, it sounds very magical.

Ivan: I'm nervous cause their costumes are excellent. And I'm sweating because I've been walking on stilts for two hours.

Moogega: You put a bunch of nerds with a bunch of swords, what could possibly go wrong?

Moogega: I've been stabbed by a nerd.

Joshua: This is a feast for the ages. The Middle Ages.

Ivan: This feels pretty natural to me. Sitting around this table in chain-mail armor, drinking goblets.

Alana: I know where he sleeps, and we have knives in the kitchen.

Alana: I had the science of organization.

Alana: I really am the nerd in the nerds because I'm the only one that gets left out. I'm the one that has hidden talents like superpower "common sense."

Alana: I get my fight from the fact that I have brass balls. I carry them in my pocket. They're magic. They're invisible.

Alana: I have been preparing for this nerd-off for my entire life. I've been watching Star Wars since I was... Five. [pause] Six or five.

Jon: I'm definitely a drooling Philistine when it comes to anything with pop culture, but I think that I'll be better at rolling the dice down the hill because I have a Physics degree.

Joshua: Let's see if Mr. Physics can roll the dice down the hill.

Alana: Gnomes are very powerful creatures. They're tiny and can make illusions.

Genevieve: Narnia has seven books. How can you not know that?

Alana: My die knocked over a couple of pieces, then it looked like it stopped. And then, I used my powers of the dark side of the force.

Alana: I have many dark powers.

Brandon: I think it was the Bard, William Shakespeare, who said, "A victory by any other gnome is just as sweet."

T-shirts:
One Hit Wonder
NASA

One interesting thing of note: The judges of the cos-play were George Takei, from the original Star Trek series (if you didn't know that already), which freaked every nerd contestant out, of course; YaYa Han (well-known cos-player, which I didn't know, because I'm not familiar with cos-play); and Adam Busch, who played Warren (one of my least favorite characters) on one of my favorite series, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. If you can't get Buffy, or Willow, or Xander, or Angel, or Spike, or Giles, or Cordelia, or Tara, or Anya, or Joyce, or Dawn, or Faith, or Drusilla, or Oz, or Riley, or Jonathon, or Principle Snyder, well, I guess Warren's the next best thing.

A final note: We know that many nerds are very smart, and you can learn a lot from a nerd. I learned something new in this episode: Chewbacca speaks Shyriiwook. Now you know it too.

Winner of cos-play: Servants of the Forbidden Orb

No comments:

Post a Comment