Sunday, February 3, 2013

Arrow: Trust But Verify

Arrow is learning that their better episodes are when they keep the plot personal. It helps to make the story more interesting and keeps the audience more involved when the stakes are higher for the characters. In this episode, Oliver wants to go after a man on The List who is a personal friend of Diggle and whom Diggle trusts.

Observations:

This week's work-out scene was short, but you gotta have it!

Oliver doesn't use his his "disguised" voice when he talks to Ted Gaynor. Hmm. And he doesn't say, "Ted Gaynor, you failed this city." Smart move.

Gaynor is attacked by The Hood, and Diggle comes to "save" him, and the first thing Gaynor says to Diggle after The Hood gets away is, "You're as good as hired"? He doesn't thank Diggle. How very ungrateful.

Laurel notices that Tommy is pretty down, and asks if he's okay, and she doesn't even look at him during the exchange. Strange acting choice. Or bad directing. Perhaps the director wanted her reaction when he tells her the reason he isn't happy to be really strong, because that's when she finally looks at him.

Diggle only eats at Big Belly Burger. But then, it's probably because of Carly.

Gaynor tells Diggle, "People change, John, and everyone deserves a chance to prove it." He doesn't say that the change is for the better. So, maybe he's talking about himself - changing for the worst - and Diggle doesn't get it yet.

Thea tells Oliver that their mother is a liar and a cheat, and she thinks she's been one for a long time. That comes from out of the blue. I don't remember Thea ever hinting before this that she thought her mother was a liar and a cheat before. So, Thea tells Oliver that their mother is a cheater, and his mother tells Oliver that their father was a cheater. Who is telling the truth?

How does Edward Fyers (from the island flashback) know Oliver is a "Queen"? Did he find out when they caught him before? I can't remember. If not, is there a connection between Fyers and Oliver's dad? Or is it just a mistake in the writing?

Malcolm uses the word "maudlin." Who uses that word in everyday conversation? I think I'll try to use it sometime.

It's great to see Felicity Smoak! She is my favorite character. Felicity and Oliver sittin' in a tree K-I-S-S-I-N-Gee she likes him! *wink*

Gaynor makes it sound like people think that soldiers who come home from the war are only have skills to shoot people, and if they can't find a job then they turn to a life of crime. I really hate that message.

I wonder when Felicity is going to catch on that Oliver is more than just an idle rich kid.

Why is Oliver never hit by any of those bullets flying out of those machine guns?

Oliver just happens to have a bug he can plant on Diggle? How convenient.

How does showing a picture of Walter prove that he's still alive?

Walter's been gone for two months? My how quickly time flies when you're fighting crime.

I learned a new word from this episode - well, not a new word, but a new usage of it. Posture: verb. To assume an artificial attitude. I'm sure I've heard it used in that sense before, but it really stood out for me this time - maybe because it sounded strange coming from Gaynor. There's another word I'll try to use.

What's going to happen between Diggle and Carly? Will he start getting food for free at Big Belly Burger? *wink*

I hope there isn't a John Smith on The List, and Oliver goes after the wrong John Smith. That wouldn't be good. Or maybe is would make a good episode. Hmm.

I wonder if Laurel will defend Thea in court. Hmm.

Quotes:

Oliver: There's something I want to show you.
Diggle: You're finally getting into online dating and you need help with your profile?

Oliver: I understand if you want to take the week off.
Diggle: Well, thank you... Sir.

Diggle: I'm not going to let you "William Tell" an innocent man.

Felicity: And here I was beginning to think my days of being Oliver Queen's personal computer geek were coming to an end.
Oliver: Is that your way of saying you miss me?
Felicity: No, but if it works for you, go for it.

Oliver: The idle rich are hard to entertain.

Felicity: So, no wine then?

Diggle: You're forgetting one thing, guy.
Gaynor: Oh yea, what's that?
Diggle: I'm the one with the grenade launcher.

Diggle: Next time you plant a bug on someone, be more subtle about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment