Thursday, February 14, 2013

Smash: The Fallout

So, I had a long introduction to Smash 2.0 in yesterday's post, so I'm just going to dive right in with my observations and quotes.

Observations:

Where did Karen get Jimmy's cell phone number?

Jimmy is a strange one. One minute he's flirting with Karen, and then the next he insults her. Karen's right, he really doesn't have that "talking to people" down yet.

Have we ever really learned why Derek and Tom are at odds with each other?

Do you remember when "going on tour with The Book of Mormon" only meant going on a mission for the Mormon church? *wink*

Annaleigh Ashford plays Lisa McMann, a "friend" of Ivy's who has left show business for a stable job in "stationery." Annaleigh and Megan Hilty (Ivy) have something in common - they both played Glinda in Wicked on Broadway. It's a small show biz world.

Wow, Jerry actually gave his table at the American Theatre Wing gala to Eileen? That was easy.

Derek hasn't moved on from being a jerk. Is this experience he's going through going to make him a better person? Or is he still going to be a jerk? 

It's Harvey Fierstein! And his voice.

I'm surprised that the girl sitting next to Derek at the bar has no reaction to his telephone conversation. But, this is New York, and maybe everyone is used to people hearing conversations like that in a bar.

It's interesting that in Derek's musical "fantasy" all of the women look exactly alike. They have the same dress, same shoes, same pony tail. Could it be that he sees all women the same?

Tom made up a new adjective, "theatific," to describe things associated with the theatre. I think I'm going to use that word.

I love Bobby. It is strange, though, that he and Jessica seem better friends with Karen now than with Ivy.

If the scene where Julia goes up to Miriam Abramson to tell her thanks for asking her and Tom to speak at the gala were in a sitcom like Will & Grace, it would have been a funny scene. However, in this show it was just painful to watch Julia make a fool of herself.

Harvey Fierstein looked surprised when Julia started thanking Miriam. I thought he also thought Julia and Tom were giving a speech. It was either bad acting, or he was told by the director that he found out before that that they really weren't speaking at the gala.

Go Tom! Tell Julia the truth and shake her out of that funk.

I'm so glad that Ivy told Derek, "Nope. Not gonna happen," when Derek tried to kiss her.

How the heck did Anna figure out that song from the little bits of paper Kyle gave Karen?

If you are writing a musical, wouldn't you want it produced? So, why is Jimmy so angry that Karen wants to help him? Does he know how tough it is to get a musical produced in New York?

Sneaky move, Julia. Miriam can't get mad at you for hijacking the stage when you say the number is a tribute to her and all her work to pull off the gala.

Ivy definitely should have the role of Marilyn over Karen.

The creative team can work on Bombshell as long as it's not-for-profit, or for public consumption, and they can't pay anyone. Who is going to do that show over a real one that people will see and they'll get paid for? Doing it for the "love of the show" goes only so far when you have to pay rent and eat.

Eileen is finally letting Jerry put money in the show. Interesting.

I'm glad that Kyle told Jimmy off. So, what is their relationship? They've known each other since they were young. Best friends? Brothers? Cousins? Hmm.

I think it's funny that viewers complained about Julia's scarves. There were other things that were worse in the show than some scarves she wore. However, I guess enough people complained about them in the right forum, that the Smash creative team heard and decided to "retire the scarves."

The preview for the rest of the season looks really good. I am looking forward to this season.

Quotes:

Eileen: Mark my word, I'll have this all ironed out, toot sweet.
(Side note: Can she get more cliches in there? *wink*)

Eileen: Boys, there's nothing to be gained by turning on each other.
Tom: But it feels good.

Derek: Oh Tom, did you pack something warm for your trip to the moral high ground?

Ivy: I'm so jealous. You're going on tour with The Book of Mormon, and I can't even get a callback for an eHarmony commercial.

Derek: How's my second favorite agent in the world?
Brynn: Oh, very sweet.

Lisa: I got out of "the biz" and my whole life changed. Now I make my own hours. People actually want what I'm offering. No more rejection, rejection, rejection.

Tom (to Julia): It's been a week. You're starting to merge with the couch.

Tom: We can't abandon Bombshell in her time of need.

Kyle: He doesn't write anything down really. Except occasionally when he's wasted.

Ivy: Maybe I should just quit.
Julia: I've been where you are. It's a brutal business. But just when I wanted to throw in the towel, something would happen to remind me of why I love it in the first place. And thus the dysfunctional cycle continues.

Harvey (to Tom): So, I guess I will see you both tonight at that theatre wing ding thing.

Derek: I have a question for you, young man. If you have something somebody wants, does that mean you can't sleep with them?
Jimmy: Dude. I don't know. My shifts over. Dan, he's all yours.
Derek (to himself): Oh, come on. All women like me.

Tom: Honey, I'm home.

Karen: He's not interested in me. He called me "uptight."
Bobby: Okay, I say this with love, but you did sound a little uptight just now.

Sam: Don't go pulling a "Lisa McMann" on me while I'm on tour, okay?
Ivy: Well, maybe she's got the right idea. She gave it her all, and when it didn't pan out, she exited, stage left. And now she's the happiest person we know.

Jimmy: Kyle said he invited you. I said you didn't know where Brooklyn was.
Karen: I hate to rock your world, I used to live in Brooklyn.
Jimmy: You are rockin' my world.
Karen: My first apartment was in Fort Green. FYI. I might be a little cooler than you think.
Jimmy: Well, you just said, "FYI," so, no.

Ivy: I couldn't have been that good. I wasn't Marilyn.
Derek: You were my Marilyn. What do I know? I've made a million stupid mistakes. Just prove me wrong.

Jimmy: Unlike you, I don't need other people to tell me I'm good.

Eileen: I want the world to see what it would miss if Bombshell went away.

Eileen: Now I'm ready to go.

Tom: Wow. What's the occasion?
Julia: These are apology muffins.
Tom: Ah. They do look very guilty.

Julia: I will work from here to eternity to make it up to you.

Tom: In the spirit of honesty, and as your friend and partner, can I say something?
Julia: Yes.
Tom: It's time to retire the scarves.

No comments:

Post a Comment