Thursday, February 21, 2013

Arrow: The Odyssey

I would say that this is the best episode of Arrow so far. It furthered the story of how Oliver learned to fight on the island, and made me want to see more flashbacks from the island. We got to see more of Felicity, which is great, and she is given the opportunity to join Oliver and Diggle in their crusade. I'm so glad that we'll see more of Felicity, and for a long time.

Observations:

Felicity doesn't have to figure out that Oliver is The Hood. Oliver reveals it to her himself, pretty much because he doesn't want to die. I would have liked to see how Felicity would have figured it out, and how long it would have taken, but this way worked too.

Diggle says, "He's been a lot worse than this," and then of course there is a segue to the island and we see how much worse he's been through.

Wouldn't Oliver have more facial hair if he's been on the island for six months?

I like seeing Oliver with Wilson. I like Stephen Amell's acting when he's not so sure of himself. He has more personality.

I love how Oliver puts the gun down like he might catch a disease from it.

Oliver read The Odyssey in college, and it sounds like he memorized it. I've read a lot of books, and I never memorized any passages from the books. It's funny that Oliver would remember something so specific from reading it. But maybe it's because he only read one book in college, and it's easier to memorize just one than many. *wink* It is apropos that the passage would be from The Odyssey since it's about a man trying to get home.

Six months on the island has changed Oliver already. He doesn't want to be selfish anymore or take people for granted. Now there's nothing left for him to do but keep learning how to fight and use a bow. *wink*

Oliver asked Wilson to contact his family if he doesn't make it out alive. It's a good thing that the Queens are well known so Wilson won't have a hard time contacting them, since Oliver didn't give him any contact information. *wink*

Felicity asks Diggle one of the questions that I'm curious about. She asks him if it bothers him that Oliver kills so many people. I'm glad they addressed the question, because Oliver has killed people who were just in his way of following out his father's vendetta. Some of those people were probably innocent. How can he sleep nights with that on his conscience?

Wilson mentions that someone hired Fyers. Could that person be someone in Starling City? Someone that Oliver may know? Or someone on The List?

Fyers calls Oliver Yao Fei's "young castaway," and Oliver's new friend is named "Wilson." Very fitting.

What's happening on the island is getting more interesting. Yao Fei has more at stake than we knew - a good reason why it looks like he's on Fyers side. When you throw in the fact that his daughter is being held captive by Fyers, it makes sense. However, if that's the only way to win a person's loyalty, you probably won't have it for long.

It's a nice moment when Oliver holds out his had for Felicity to shake it, just as Wilson did to Oliver.

Oliver has the same tattoo as Yao Fei's daughter. Hmm.

Quotes:

Felicity: Oliver. Oh, wow. Everything about you just became so unbelievably clear.

Felicity: You're bleeding.
Oliver: I don't need to be told that.

Felicity: Can you help me? He's really heavy.

Felicity: I'm guessing "how" and "why" are Oliver Queen's least favorite questions.
Diggle: Yea, there's also "where" and "when" he's not too fond of.

Diggle: Did you ever play operation when you were a kid?
Felicity: Yes, and it never made me want to throw up.

Wilson: How did you survive here for six months? I know Girl Scouts who have more fight in them.
Oliver: Fighting Girl Scouts now, Slade, huh?

Wilson: Obviously you were never a Boy Scout.
Oliver: Yea, what tipped you off?

Wilson: We'd better hurry. The wolves come out at night.
Oliver: There are wolves here? Right. Of course there are, because what would the worst place on earth be without wolves?

Wilson: Everybody is in their life for themselves.
Oliver: You learn that in Australian spy school?

Felicity: I always wondered how I'd react if I found my boss shot and bleeding inside my car. Not that I helped because he's my boss. I'd help anyone who was shot... and bleeding in my car.

Felicity: I may be blonde, but I'm not that blonde.

Diggle: Hard as it probably is for him to admit, even Oliver needs help sometimes.

Felicity: You didn't say "clear."

Felicity: What do we do now?
Diggle: Pray we don't have a heart attack ourselves.

Oliver: They picked the one book I read in college.

Diggle: Ahh! It's less stressful when he's jumping off rooftops.

Oliver: I'm not a hero.

Wilson: A man in pain is unreliable. I was afraid I might kill you.

Oliver (laughs): I dropped on an island, and my only friend is named "Wilson." So.

Wilson: That dumb kid that I trained, he would never have made it, but you... you just might have a chance.

Oliver: I guess I didn't die. Again. Cool.

Felicity: Your system looked like it was from the 80s, and not the good part of the 80s - like Madonna and, well, leg warmers.

Oliver: Does that mean you're in.
Felicity: You mean "in" as in I'm going to join your crusade?
Oliver: Well, you're practically an honorary member of the team already.
Felicity: So Mr. Diggle said. [pause] No.
Oliver: Then why did you upgrade my systems?
Felicity: First, because seeing that we're poorly set up hurts me in my soul. And second, because I want to find Walter.

Oliver: We don't always know why people do what they do.

Bonus:

Click here for an interview with Stephen Amell, as he talks about "The Odyssey," working with Emily Bett Rickards (Felicity), and the villains he let get away (among other things).

No comments:

Post a Comment