Friday, April 26, 2013

The Last Five Years: The Movie

A film version of the Jason Robert Brown musical, The Last Five Years, will start filming in June starring Jeremy Jordan and Anna Kendrick.

Can I just say, "Yay!!!"

The Last Five Years is a two-person show that follows the doomed marriage of Jamie, an arrogant Jewish novelist, and Cathy, an insecure actress. The story of their troubled courtship is told chronologically — backward (hers) and forward (his). Their scenes intersect in the middle, when Jamie proposes to Cathy during a boat ride in Central Park.

The musical originally opened Off Broadway in 2002 and starred Norbert Leo Butz (Wicked, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Catch Me If You Can) and Sherie Rene Scott (AidaFull Monty, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels). A revival of the musical is now playing Off Broadway with Adam Kantor and Betsy Wolfe.

I saw a small touring production of it a few years ago, and I loved it. I know Anna Kendrick can sing because she was in Pitch Perfect. I just hope she can match Jeremy Jordan's great voice. I just hope the soundtrack will be available, because I want to have a copy of Jeremy Jordan singing "If I Didn't Believe in You."

Because it's a movie, there will be other characters, it won't just be the two characters. It will be interesting to see all of the people that Jamie and Cathy refer to in the musical. And the lead characters will be in each others' scenes, which doesn't happen in the stage version except when they meet in the middle in Central Park. I'm excited to see how it works out.



No comments:

Post a Comment