Thursday, April 11, 2013

Favorite Doctor Who Episodes: The Long Game

The Doctor picked up another traveling companion (in addition to Rose) in "Dalek," and it's Adam's turn to be "godsmacked" by the world the Doctor takes him to - well, the space station. This space station, Satellite Five, broadcasts the news to the entire universe. Quite the job.

I love how the Doctor lets Rose introduce everything to Adam when the Tardis lands on the space station. And I love Adam's response to seeing the Earth in the year 200,000.

The Doctor gets so excited when he senses that something is wrong. Rose says to him, "Trouble?" and he responds with a smile, "Oh, yea." The Doctor isn't content when everything is smooth sailing. It's not in his nature.

You know how badly you want that promotion? Well, if they tell you that your promotion will take you to floor 500, then you need to get a bit suspicious. Even if they tell you the walls are made of gold. Just sayin'.

It's interesting to have Adam traveling with the Doctor and Rose, to show how different Adam is from them. The Doctor travels to learn about other species. To help where he's needed. And Rose has learned that from traveling with the Doctor. Adam is all about Adam. He wants knowledge, but not for knowledge sake. He wants it for Adam's sake. (Ahh, too bad his name isn't Pete, that would have been funny sentence *wink*).

The end of this episode is one of my favorite moments. Watch it!

Quotes:

Doctor: He's your boyfriend.
Rose: Not anymore.

Doctor: Come on, Adam, open your mind. You're gonna like this fantastic era of history. The human race at its most intelligent. Culture, art, politics. This era's got fine food, good manners --
Rose: Fine cuisine.

Doctor: My watch must be wrong. No, it's fine. It's weird.
Rose: That's what comes from showing off. Your history's not as good as you thought it was.
Doctor: My history's perfect.
Rose: Well, obviously not.

Doctor: Here you go. Pocket money. Don't spend it all on sweets.
Adam: How does it work?
Doctor: Go and find out. Stop nagging me! The thing is, Adam, time travel's like visiting Paris. You can't just read the guide book, you gotta throw yourself in. Eat the food, use the wrong verbs, get charged double and end up kissing complete strangers. Or is that just me?

Doctor: Off you go! Your first date.
Rose: You're gonna get a smack, you are.

Cathica: The Face of Boe has just announced he's pregnant.

Editor: Something is wrong. Something fictional.

Doctor: Oi! Mutt and Jeff. Over here.

Suki: You're my lucky charm.
Doctor: All right. I'll hug anyone.

Adam: You'd rather be with him. It's gonna take a better man than me to get between you two.

Rose: Here you go, take the Tardis key, you know just in case it gets a bit much.
Adam: Yea, like it's not weird in there.

Suki: Say goodbye to Steve for me!

Cathica: You're not management, are you?
Doctor: At last! She's clever.

Doctor: Humanity's been set back about 90 years. When did Satellite Five start broadcasting?
Cathica: Ninety-one years ago.

Editor: Check him. Double-check him. Triple-check him. Quadruple.

Doctor: Rose is asking the right kind of question.
Rose: I thank you.
Doctor: Why is it so hot?
Cathica: One minute you're worried about the Empire and the next minute it's the central heating.
Doctor: Never underestimate plumbing. Plumbing's very important.

Editor: We all know what happens to non-entities. They get promoted.

Rose: Well, I don't know about you, but I feel like I'm missing out on a party. It's all going on upstairs. Fancy a trip?

Adam: How do I activate it?
Nurse: It's a personal choice. Some people whistle. I know one man who triggers it with "Oh, Danny Boy." But you're is on default for now. That's a click of the fingers.

Editor: Oh, you're full of information. But it's only fair we get some information back because, apparently, you're no one. It's so rare not to know something.

Editor: The Mighty Jagrefess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxarodenfoe. I call him Max.

Editor: Is a slave a slave if he doesn't know he's enslaved?
Doctor: Yes.
Editor: Oh! I was hoping for a philosophical debate. Is that all I'm going to get. "Yes"?
Doctor: Yes.
Editor: You're no fun.
Doctor: Let me out of these manacles. You'll find out how much fun I am.

Doctor: You and your boyfriends!

Rose: What do I do?
Doctor: Flick the switch!

Doctor: See you in the headlines.

Adam: My head opens.
Doctor: What, like this?
Adam: Don't!
Doctor: Don't do what?
Adam: Stop it!

No comments:

Post a Comment