Monday, April 29, 2013

Good Neighbors: Pig's Lib

The Goods have purchased pigs, much to the chagrin of Margo, and she is forced to call in the big guns in the form of the chairman of the resident's association. Margo thinks Mr. Carter will simply tell Tom and Barbara that they can't have pigs in their backyard, but, unfortunately for her, that isn't quite the case. Tom and Barbara end up promising Margo that the pigs won't get into her garden because they can't jump the high fence. However, they find out too late that pigs can go under a fence.

Quotes:

Customer at Store: I don't have any eggs on me. Do you accept cash?

Margo: What is that?
Tom: Two dustbins on a trolley.
Margo: I know it's two dustbins on a trolley, Tom. And when I asked you the question, it was a rhetorical one which does not need a direct answer, as you knew in the first place.
Tom: You make me hold my breath when do long sentences, Margo.
Margo: What is it?
Tom: It's two rhetorical dustbins on a rhetorical trolley.

Tom: Go in peace, dear Gerald, but tell thy sovereign lady this, if she doth bite her thumbs at us, e'en do we back unto her our thumbs be-bite.
Jerry: Don't call us, we'll call you.

Mr. Carter: Evening, Mr. Good.
Tom: Good evening, Mr. Carter. Right. That's got the poncy* formalities over. I'm a busy man, if you just make your threats, I'll ignore them, and you can clear off.

Margo: May I come in as well?
Tom: Unless you want to listen through the keyhole.

Margo: They will ruin my garden.
Barbara: We're not keeping them in your garden.
Margo: Well, say they jumped over the fence?
Tom: Oh, come on, I can't see piglets doing the Fosbury flop** over a great high fence like that.

Tom: All right, tell you what. If they build a ladder and as much as set a trotter*** in your garden, I'll get rid of them. How's that?

Margo: We will leave it at that. Barbara, Tom.
Tom: Margo, Margo.
Barbara: Margo, Margo.
Margo: Good night, Mr. Carter. And I am sorry to say this, but you are not the Mr. Carter I imagined you to be.
Mr. Carter: Well, I'm sorry to hear that. [Margo leaves. To Tom] Because she's exactly the Mrs. Leadbetter I imagined her to be.

Margo: Anything special you'd like for dinner?
Jerry: Anything except pork.
Margo: Well, I must say, Jerry, I never realized before that you were so fond of pigs.
Jerry: I'm not. I think they're nasty, smelly creatures. But I'd rather have Tom and Barbara as friends with pigs than than not friends without them.
Margo: I don't see why you should make me out the villain of the piece. Nothing wrong with asking someone to honor an agreement.
Jerry: That's what they said about Shylock.

Margo: Jerry called me Shylock.

Tom: Talk about cheating Mesdemoiselles Guillotine. The Scarlet Pimpernel wasn't in it.

Tom: Are we the happiest Tom and Barbara in the world?
Barbara: Easily.
Tom: Right. Go sober up. Get your working clothes on. We've got a prison camp to build.



* pretentious
**common high jump technique
***pig's foot

1 comment:

  1. I love this series. I was looking just now for this episode. I found the first two thirds of it on YouTube, but not the final third! Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete