Saturday, April 27, 2013

Into the Woods with Johnny?

Johnny Depp is in talks to play the Baker in Disney's film version of Stephen Sondheim's fairy tale musical, Into the Woods.

I'm not sure how I feel about Depp being cast in the role. The Baker is a great role and he has some good songs, but he's just an ordinary man, and Depp likes to play quirky characters. If he plays the role, would he try to make the Baker quirky? Also, Into the Woods is a ensemble piece with many different fairy tale stories being told, there is no real leading role, and Johnny Depp seems to stand out in his performances. If he does play the part I hope he doesn't overpower the other actors and make it The Baker Goes Into the Woods.

Meryl Streep is in talks to play the Witch. That could be interesting too. This is a project that I'm really excited about. I'm happy to see more musicals being adapted for the big screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment