Saturday, April 6, 2013

Stage Review: I Love You Because

I have purchased many random cast recordings of new musicals, not knowing if I'll ever get a chance to see a production of those musicals. With some of them, I only like a few numbers and don't really care to see the actual musical, but there are many of which I really want to see a full production.

I Love You Because fell into the latter category. I bought many of the songs (I love iTunes where I can be picky) when the cast recording was released in 2006, and I've wanted to see a production of it since then. When I saw Side Show, produced by Utah Repertory Theater Company a couple of months ago, I saw that I Love You Because was part of their 2013 season. I was very excited to see that not only is the new theater company doing little-known musicals, but they're doing little-known musicals that I've wanted to see for a while.

I Love You Because is loosely based on Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, very loosely. The genders have been switched; however, those who are familiar with Austen's popular novel will recognize much of Elizabeth and Darcy in Austin Bennet and Marcy Fitzwilliams. The creators of the musical said, "what remains of Pride and Prejudice is what attracted us to the story in the first place; the notion that in order to find love you must move past your preconceived notions of what love is going to be for you and embrace all of its surprises, both good and bad. Because it's easy to say, 'I love you anyway" but hard and all the more rewarding to say, 'I love you because.'"

I enjoyed the production very much. Billy Hagee and Madeline Weinberger, were perfectly cast as Austin and Marcy. Billy was great as the uptight, constant tie-wearing Austin, and Madeline had perfect comic timing as Marcy. Their immediate dislike for each other was believable, as was their gradual change of heart.

Brandon Roach played Austin's older brother, Jeff. There is not much of "Jane Bennet" in Jeff Bennet. He just seems like a little boy who wants to "play." You wouldn't even believe he was Austin's "older" brother if he didn't actually make that point in the show. The two brothers are very different, but Brandon's Jeff was extremely likable, and he had some great moments. Jordan Hall played Marcy's best friend, Diana Bingley. She also did a good job. Her first number, "The Actuary Song," which explains mathematically how long you should wait to get back into the dating pool after a serious breakup, was extremely funny.

The vocal abilities of entire cast were excellent. The only criticism I have with the music was that the live band (which was also very good) overpowered the singers quite a lot.

The supporting cast was good. However, I felt like some of the comical characterizations were a bit over-the-top and weren't in harmony with the comedy style of the rest of the show. I would like to have seen new and unique characterizations instead of the stereo-types they presented.

I was very happy to see a good production of a musical that I've wanted to see for a while, and I look forward to seeing what else Utah Repertory Theater Company will be producing in the future. The next production in their season I'm excited to see is Frank Wildhorn's Bonnie & Clyde. I know it wasn't well received on Broadway, but it's a very interesting story to make into a musical, and I'm curious to see it. I hope I enjoy it as much as I Love You Because.

Since my first introduction to I Love You Because was the music, I will end this post with one of my favorite songs, "But I Do," from the original Off-Broadway production. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment