Sunday, April 7, 2013

Good Neighbors: Say Little Hen...

Tom and Barbara are on the road to self-sufficiency. They've bought a goat for milk and butter. They've tilled the front yard and part of the back yard to plant vegetables. They've made a chicken coup, which Barbara paints pink because they had pink paint in the shed, to house the chickens they've just acquired. They are quite serious about living self-sufficiently. And Jerry and Margo want to talk them out of their lunacy, so Jerry invites his boss over for dinner to talk him into asking Tom to take his job back. The discussion gets quite heated when Tom and Barbara come over for drinks prior to dinner.

This is the episode when we meet Margo for the first time. We only heard her voice in the pilot. And luckily for us, she says my favorite line twice in the episode, "Thank you very much, Jerry."

Quotes:

Margo: Jerry! She's smashing glass now.
Jerry: That's nothing. You should have seen Tom on the common with the goat.

Margo: Why can't they have a dog like everyone else?
Jerry: Dogs don't have udders.
Margo: Jerry, don't be obtuse. You know what I mean.

Margo: Well, thank you very much, Jerry. I shall not set foot in that car again until you've had it thoroughly valeted.

Margo: They are headed for degradation, misery and squalor. And we have to live next door to it.

Tom: Pink? You've painted our chicken house pink?
Barbara: Yes.
Tom: Have you put little chintz curtains in the windows as well?

Tom: This is just chicken voyeurism.

Jerry: They're happy. Perhaps lemmings are happy as they rush toward the edge of the cliff. So, I've taken steps.
Margo: Have you actually covered any ground?

Margo: Well, thank you very much, Jerry.
Jerry: What's wrong?
Margo: What's wrong? I need at least three weeks if I'm going to entertain a managing director. That's what's wrong.
Jerry: Three weeks to cook a bit of dinner.
Margo: I have never done that in my life. I prepare meals, Jerry. And I've nothing to wear.
Jerry: You could serve it naked.
Margo: Would you mind very much not being quite so vulgar. I just remembered, the candelabra being replated, and we don't have a new napkin in the house.
Jerry: Oh, forget it. I'll think of something else.
Margo: No. No, I'll manage, Jerry. A woman always does.

Jerry: I'm not awfully familiar with Taming of the Shrew.
Tom: No, Margo does get rather a lot of her own way, doesn't she?

Jerry: I think if I can get him back on the rails we should save him from himself. I don't think that's putting it too strongly.
Andy: That's awfully admirable of you, Jerry. But I'm running a business, not a psychiatric clinic.
Jerry: He's the best draftsman we've ever had. In fact, I don't see us keeping the Weber account without him.
Andy: Well, of course, I've always been very fond of... what's his name?
Jerry: Tom.

Felicity: Oh, look, a goat!
Margo: I'm so sorry, Felicity.
Felicity: Oh, no. I like goats.

Tom: Sorry about this. We're expecting our first egg.

Andy: There's a desk waiting for you at JJM.
Tom: You what?
Andy: Yes.
Tom: Has it been asking for me by name?

Margo: All right Tom, if you wish to commit social suicide and ruin the neighborhood while you're doing it, then so be it. But I think it's despicable to tow poor Barbara in your wake.
Barbara: Oi! I'm not no barge.
Margo: I know, dear. But I'm not sure you understand the implications.
Barbara: Now, look --
Felicity: Your goat, dear, has it got a name?
Barbara: Yes. Margo.
Margo: Jerry?

Jerry: If you come back to JJM, you won't have to work nearly as hard.
Andy: I heard that, Ledbetter.

Tom: We don't look on it as work. It's our way of life. I mean, it is work, because we tend to collapse at the end of the day, but we don't look on it as work.
Barbara: Yes. If I could understand that, I'd agree with it.

Felicity: I wanted to do something exciting when I was young. And then I married Andrew, and that was the end of that.

Felicity: Just trying is exciting.
Tom: Felicity, you've got it in one.

Barbara: At least you got the last word, and that's not easy with Margo.
Tom: Well, I excel at hollow boasting.

Barbara: Now, there's no need to shoot yourself, just 'cause you can't kill a chicken.

Tom: Chicken, I'm going to make you an offer you can't refuse.

Felicity (to Margo): It looks just like the illustration on the tin, my dear.

Barbara: How can you miss a chicken from six inches?
Tom: It ducked. Anyway, we know how to make them lay now. Scare them into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment